Passion and Purpose
Passion and Purpose. In a previous article we looked at how to identify your passions. Now the time has come to realize how we do it. Especially if following your passions involves radical changes in your life, you need to prepare yourself as you would prepare if you were to run a marathon.
- Re-read your passion exercise, give time to the brain to get used to this information.
- Whenever you are presented with a decision or an opportunity or a choice, choose the option that aligns most closely with your passions.
- Take responsibility for your actions, know that only you can change your life. No one can do that and therefore the responsibility is only yours and is not the responsibility of others.
- If you can, try to do some meditation every day, which helps you with your focus. Try this simple breathing exercise.
- Do some sports, better outdoor.
- Try to sleep well and eat healthy.
Fear of making choices
If, at this stage, you are assailed by the fear of making choices, if you feel really bad, remember that it is your brain that has taken over and you have entered survival mode.
To understand how this works, think about of all the times that someone you love came to you and felt really bad. You may say “you are a great person, don’t worry, everything will be fine.” The person is not really listening to you because he/she is in survival mode. Unfortunately, the brain goes totally crazy. If you are in such a phase, it is better to wait a better time to follow these steps. When you feel a little better,mstart asking yourself every day what are the things that you are grateful for, the things you are satisfied with that you have done during the day, to give you a little more courage.
Remember: what you focus on becomes reality, in the sense that If you focus only on the things that are negative, your brain will find them. On the other hand, if you focus only on positive things, your brain will look for the positive things.
What you focus on becomes stronger.
All things that have been created on earth have been first imagined by the mind and then turned into reality.
All inventions first arise at the idea level. And then scientists strive to find a way to create them in reality.
I remember 30 years ago when I first saw “Blade Runner”, the movie. That was the first time I saw a video call. In the 80’s video calls were just science fiction. I remember myself thinking “How beautiful would be video calling! It will never happen”. And today video calling is real.
The choice is yours: do you want to focus on positive things or negative things?
Following your passion
- List the passions you identified through the exercise or if you already had a list for yourself.
- Think about some milestones that need to be realized to fulfill your passions. For example, if one of your passions is “Living in the moment”, milestones could be “every day I am present and listening carefully to the people with whom I come in contact with”. Or “I consider every day as perfect”. Or “My friends tell me that they are fine when they are with me”.These could be, for example, three milestones, three key points.
- Write down for each passion the milestones you must realize and then begin to pay attention to these things.
To manifest the things you want, you don’t have to demand them from others. You have to do them first. You have to start giving others what you want to be given. And in helping others you help yourself. It sounds a little bit like Jesus teachings 🙂, however in the end it is like that.
If you complain because your boyfriend/girlfriend doesn’t pick you up at the airport when you come back from your trips, instead of complaining you can start picking him/her up first every time.
If you complain because your friends didn’t throw you a bday party, you may start organizing a birthday party for your friends.
All this has to be done without expectation, and you do it simply because it is something that you would like to be done to you. You should do it only with the intention to please somebody else, from the heart, and without expectations.
Guide to pursuing passions
- Identify a few milestones, what are the concrete actions you can do to realize your passions. Ask your friends and get more ideas you hadn’t even considered.
- Act concretely! You will give even more of a signal to your brain that this is what you want to do. And you will see that your brain will start to cooperate more.